A Minimal Asset Process is an alternative route to Sequestration for people that live in Scotland; the MAP is for individuals who have a low income and minimal assets. You would need to speak to an approved money advisor who would complete the paperwork online for you. At the same time you would pay the MAP fee which is £90 opposed to the £200 application fee for sequestration.
- If your position remains unchanged, your debts will be cleared in 12 months.
- Low application fee of £90.
- Once granted you will be protected from creditor action.
- You cannot be a homeowner.
- The MAP will have a negative impact on your credit rating, making it harder to obtain credit in the future.
- Have debts of more than £1,500, but less than £17,000.
- Must not have assets exceeding £2000.
- Must not have a car worth more than £3000.
- Cannot be a homeowner.
- Must be able to afford the £90 application fee.
- You cannot have been made bankrupt in the last 5 years.
- Be residing in Scotland within the last year.
- You have a low income – defined as someone who is entirely dependent on income related benefits (JSA for example) or you have nothing left over after you have paid your essential living costs.
Please note: Debt Support Service does not administer Minimal Asset Process.